The risk of developing cancer increases significantly as we age. Cancer prevention is part of the anti-aging process. Enjoy these cool, healthy eating tips that not only help you slow down the aging process but also prevent cancer.
- Focus on a plant-based diet that includes a variety of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Buy organic or local produces if possible. Organic foods are more nutritious and free of pesticides. Enjoy fresh vegetables and fruits instead of processed ones if possible and wash fruits and vegetables to reduce pesticides residue.
- Bulk up your fiber intake; fiber helps remove wastes and toxins from your body and keeps your digestive system healthy and clean. Fiber rich foods are leafy greens, fruits,beans and lentils, and whole grains, etc.
- Prepare your foods in healthy ways as carcinogens can be formed during the cooking or preserving process. Avoid cooking in high heat such as barbecue and deep frying; avoid plastic containers and wraps for cooking foods in a microwave.
You can read more information about Xenohormones from plastic products and how they can affect our natural hormone
- Reduce the consumption of red meat. Studies suggest that red meat may increase the recurrence of cancer.
Top your dishes with these super cancer-fighting foods!
Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant and belongs to a ginger family.It is originally from South India. Turmeric requires a specific temperature range and a decent amount of rain to grow. The dry roots are grounded into powder and used as a popular spice in Indian cuisine. It is also used in mustard condiments and as a textile dye due to its unique deep yellow-orange color.
Turmeric was traditionally called “Indian saffron”. It has been used for thousands of years as a healing remedy in Siddha medicine in India.Turmeric provides many health benefits and a few are listed below.
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin . Curcumindemonstrates potent anti-inflammatory effects in many studies.The advantage of curcumin is that it can be consumed either in food or as supplements without toxicity while most anti-inflammatory drugs can have significant toxic effects.
Researchers suggest that curcumin is also a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and reduces oxidative stress. The excellent combination antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric make it very attractive to relieve many health issues including arthritis. In fact, curcumin supplements have shown promising results for arthritis treatment.
Astaxanthin is another powerful pain reliever.
Curcumin acts like a switch that turns off some genes that promote cancer cells growth and proliferation. In addition, curcumin also suppresses cancer cells and induces cancer cells apoptosis (cell death). Emerging studies show that turmeric is one of the most powerful anticancer food.,,
Tart Cherry is also a super food that contains powerful antiaging and anticancer components.
How to enjoy turmeric in many ways?
- Add turmeric powder in egg or potato salads to enhance the color.
- Add it to scrambled eggs or tofu to enhance the flavor.
- Season brown rice or lentils with turmeric powder, cumin, and coriander, etc.
- Sparkle turmeric powder on steamed cauliflower or green beans and onions.
- Make a delicious and rich color dip with turmeric powder, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Make your own salad dressings by adding some turmeric powder to enhance the texture and color.
- Add it to soups such as lentil soups, vegetable soups, and chicken noodle soups.
- Blend turmeric powder into smoothies.
- Add it to your tea along with some ginger root, milk, and honey.
How to get the most out of turmeric?
In order to improve the absorption of turmeric, the best way to take turmeric is with meals especially with fatty foods such as olives, avocado, nuts, and seeds. The reason for this is because turmeric metabolizes rapidly in the liver and intestine, and fatty foods slow down the digestive process, therefore they help increase the absorption of turmeric.
Turmeric may upset the stomach if you are taking it as a supplement with a high dose over a longer period of time. If you are taking turmeric supplements, an effective dose range is 500-3000mg per day based on clinical trials. Turmeric may affect blood thinner medications and increase your risk of bleeding if you are on blood thinner drugs.It is recommended that you consult your healthcare provider before taking it as a supplement if you are taking other medications.
You can make your own fresh turmeric powder by boiling, drying and grinding fresh turmeric roots into powder.Unpeeled fresh turmeric roots can last up to three weeks in a refrigerator.Turmeric powder should be stored in a cool, dark and dry place and kept in a tightly sealed container because it is highly susceptible to light.
A shiitake mushroom is an edible and delicious fungus. Fungi are separated from plants, animals, and bacteria. They are similar to plants but they do not have chlorophyll to make their own food through photosynthesis like a plant does. They absorb nutrients from their surroundings. One major difference that separates fungi from others is that fungal cells have cell walls that contain chitin, a long-chain polymer of a derivative of glucose. Fungi are considered as the special type of living organisms that have no roots, leaves, flowers or seeds. Shiitake mushrooms originally came from East Asia and are now cultivated worldwide. Fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms have been commonly used in Asian cuisines. Today, these exotic mushrooms can be found in many grocery stores all year around.
Extracts from shiitake mushrooms or dried forms have been used in herbal remedies for thousands of years in the Eastern medicine. Like other fungi, shiitake mushrooms offer a variety of phytochemicals that have potent health benefits, such as lentinan and laminarin, which are polysaccharides that have anti-tumor effects and promote the death of cancer cells, as well as lentinacin or eritadenine that has cholesterol-lowering effects.
Shiitake mushrooms also offer a wide variety of important nutrients such as Vitamin B groups, fiber, potassium and amino acids.
(Dry shiitake mushroom)
Note: data indicated as percentage of dry weight
Mineral and Vitamin content
Note: Data indicated as milligrams per 100 gram dry weight
Amino Acid composition
Note: data indicate milligrams per gram of protein nitrogen
The health benefits of shiitake mushroom have been well studied and a few are listed here.
Anti-cancer and immune system booster
Polysaccharides are complex carbohydrates containing two or more monosaccharide units linked by glycosidic bonds.The unique polysaccharides in shiitake mushrooms were first considered as primary anti-cancer compounds such as lentinan and beta glucan. But now researchers have speculated that many non-polysaccharide compounds in shiitake mushrooms have anti-tumor effects and work together to achieve these amazing anti-cancer results.
The polysaccharides in shiitake mushrooms such as beta-glucans are known to activate the immune system.,  These polymers can enhance the host’s immune response by activating cell-mediated immunity, enhancing natural killers cell function such as T cells, monocytes, macrophages, and polymorphonuclear lymphocytes.
Anti-aging and heart health promoter
Nonstarch polysaccharides are considered as dietary fiber that provides many health benefits including lowering your blood cholesterol and stabilizing your blood sugar. Dietary fiber also helps remove wastes from our body and regular our bowel function. In addition, fiber also increases fullness and promotes weight loss.
Coconut flour is another amazing functional food that is high in fiber.
Shiitake mushrooms are a very good source of antioxidant minerals such as manganese, selenium, and zinc, as well as other powerful antioxidantsincludingL-ergothioneine, which is a remarkable antioxidant that protects cells from the damage caused by free radicals and strengthens your immune function, it also protects against neurotoxins that contribute to cognitive decline. Researchers indicate that chronic oxidative stress in the cardiovascular system can contribute to blood vessel problems such as atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).A diet that is rich in anti-oxidants will not only slow down the aging process but also will protect your heart.
You could read A Super Charged Anti-aging Diet Part One about more super foods that are rich in antioxidants.
Turmeric kale and egg salad
Ingredients (1 serving)
- Eggs (large): 2
- kale (fresh, chopped): 1 cup
- Turmeric (powder): 2 tsp.
- Olive oil: 2 tbsps.
- Garlic (fresh, chopped): 1tsp.
- Lemon juice: 1tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, mix well until the color and texture are uniform.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a pan and add whisked eggs. Scrape the eggs mixture around the pan with a spatula.When the eggs are almost cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat another tbsp. of olive oil in a skillet, add garlic,stir-fry for 30 seconds or until aromatic, add chopped kale to the skillet and cook until kale slightly soft, then add scrambled eggs and sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Sparkle turmeric powder and mix well, add salt and pepper to taste.
Asian beef and shiitake mushrooms stir fry
- Olive oil: 3 tbsps.
- Garlic (fresh, chopped): 2 tsp.
- Ginger (fresh, finely chopped): 2 tsp.
- Shiitake mushrooms (fresh, sliced): 4 cups
- Chinese cabbage or bokchoy (trimmed, sliced): 2 heads
- Beef sirloin (thinly sliced): 2 lbs.
- Red peppers (fresh, medium, sliced): 2
- Soy sauce: 4 tbsps.
- Oyster sauce: 2 tbsps.
- Cornstarch: 3 tbsps.
- Beef broth: 1 cup
- Mix cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and beef broth until smooth. Set cornstarch sauce aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add beef and stir well until its color is changed to brown. Set beef aside.
- Heat 2 tbsps.of olive oil in a frying pan. Stir in garlic and ginger, stir-fry for 30 seconds or until aromatic,combine mushrooms, cabbage, peppers, and stir over medium heat until the mixture is tender. Set vegetables aside.
- In a pot, add cornstarch sauce, cook until the mixture boils and thickens, stir in beef and mixed vegetables and mix well.
- Serve over rice.
Anti-aging health products
- Apothe-Cherry: “Purium’s Apothe-Cherry™ is made from Sour/Tart Cherries, which are nature’s most nutritionally dense food. They contain a wide variety of antioxidants and phytochemicals, and each serving contains 7,000 ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) units. The health benefits include:
- Contains melatonin, which may help balance circadian rhythms for proper sleep
- May support healthy joint function
- Promotes healthy uric acid metabolism
- Is a rich source of anti-oxidants
- Can help prevent or even reverse premature aging”
- Kuptniratsaikul V, Thanakhumtorn S, Chinswangwatanakul P, Wattanamongkonsil L, Thamlikitkul V. Efficacy and safety of Curcuma domestica extracts in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009; 15(8):891–97.
- Suresh Rao, ChetanaDinkar, et al. The Indian Spice Turmeric Delays and Mitigates Radiation-Induced Oral Mucositis in Patients Undergoing Treatment for Head and Neck Cancer: An Investigational Study. Integr Cancer Ther, May 2014; vol. 13, 3:pp. 201-210.
- Carroll RE, Benya RV, Turgeon DK, et al. Phase IIa clinical trial of curcumin for the prevention of colorectal neoplasia. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). Mar. 2011; 4(3):354-64.
- Kakarala, M., et al., Targeting breast stem cells with the cancer preventive compounds curcumin and piperine. Breast Cancer Research & Treatment. Aug. 2009; 122(3):777-785
- Moshe Frankel, Donald i. Abrams, et al. Integrating Dietary Supplements Into Cancer Care. Integr Cancer Ther . 2013 12: 369.
- Weigard-Heller, et al. The bioavailablity of ergothioneine from mushrooms (Agericusbisporus) and the capacity and biomarkers of inflammation. Preventive Medicine, 54:575-578
Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. – ~Jim Rohn